District Equity Leadership Team Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
DELT DEI Statement
District Equity Leadership Team (DELT) Statement on Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
McLean County Unit 5 recognizes that “educating each student to achieve personal excellence” requires a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The district will work proactively to create a safe and welcoming environment for all regardless of identity including, but not limited to: race, ethnicity, sex, nationality, ability/differently-abled, immigration status, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, socioeconomic status, and language. This includes ensuring systemic and continuous development toward advancing equity within all policies and practices while removing institutional barriers that affect student learning and achievement.
Unit 5 defines EQUITY as the unbiased treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all people, while at the same time, striving to identify and eliminate barriers that have prevented the full participation of some groups. The principle of equity acknowledges that there are historically marginalized populations and that fairness regarding their unbalanced conditions is needed to assist in the provision of equitable opportunities and resources to all groups.
Unit 5 defines INCLUSION as the act of creating environments in which any individual or group can be and
feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued as a fully participating member. An inclusive and welcoming
climate embraces and celebrates differences and offers respect in words and actions for all people.
- We believe equity is a lens through which all decisions should be made.
- We believe in identifying and changing educational practices, policies, and processes that contribute to and
perpetuate inequities and disparities of those who have been marginalized in society by their identity, culture
or economic status.
- We believe the practices of attracting and retaining staff (i.e., recruiting, interviewing, hiring, supporting, and
promoting) must include and honor, at every level, those who represent the diverse identities of our schools
- We believe that all staff and students deserve a space to be their authentic selves. We believe that seeking
student and staff experiences and feedback on organizational culture and climate will help achieve
- We believe a continuum of professional learning and growth opportunities for all staff will help achieve
- We believe that parents/caregivers, educators, and the community must be active partners in order to help
students achieve academic excellence.
- We believe in an inclusive curriculum, and instruction and assessment that is learner-centered and based on
high standards and expectations.