For our school community the IMC staff will:
- teach how to effectively access, evaluate and use information
- collaborate in curriculum development
- support reference and research needs
- promote instruction in the use of technology
- provide an environment conducive to learning
- encourage a lifelong enjoyment of reading
- Students are required to present their ID card that contains their individualized barcode at the circulation desk to check out materials.
- Students may check out a maximum of five items.
- Books circulate for three weeks and may be renewed.
- Students are responsible for returning materials on or before the due date.
- Students are financially responsible for lost, damaged items checked out in their name.
- Lost book charges are collected at registration and must be paid by seniors before graduating.
What can your media specialist do for you?
Services for teachers:
- Reading guidance and recommendations
- Full lessons
- Information literacy instruction
- Google Apps for Education as well as other Web tools
- organization of both print and electronic information
- electronic searching of available catalogs and databases
- appreciation of information and literature
- determining the most appropriate information sources for a task
- determining information relevance for a task
- bibliographies and citations
- the research process
- evaluation of one's research process
- evaluation of web sites' authority and accuracy
- reference skills (especially to verify web site accuracy)
- internet safety skills and ethics
- technology instruction (we can teach your students how to use these applications and tools!)
Partnering -- The Library Media Specialist partners with teachers in planning, designing curriculum, teaching, and assessing students' work.
- Do you have a new unit coming up?
- Do you have a unit that needs a change and more student involvement?
- Are you wondering how much to expect of students when researching?
- Are students citing their sources appropriately when they research?
- Do you need help locating resources to help support student learning?
- Do you need help integrating technology?
Information Specialist -- The Library Media Specialist selects materials and manages collection development and cataloging, and can help you find:
- book reviews
- outstanding books
- sources for purchase for student research on a given topic
- articles or other resources for your professional development
- sources for curricular planning
- appropriate online databases and websites
- answers to your questions and student questions
The Library Media Specialist can also help by:
- selecting books from the IMC collection to support Common Core and student learning
- requesting books from other schools in the district that you need
- asking for teacher input on what materials to purchase to support the curriculum and the Common Core
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike
What Your Teacher-Librarian can do for you adapted from Karla Krueger, School Library Media Studies Division, College of Education, University of Northern Iowa, for use by Iowa Teacher-Librarians. You are welcome to personalize this template for your library by adding, deleting, and making changes as needed. The template is designed to be used for an elementary, secondary, or K-12 school library.
Unit 5′s acceptable use of computers, computer networks, & related technologies policy