Colene Hoose Elementary School opened its doors in the fall of 1965 with 350 pupils and 20 staff members. The original building consisted of 13 rooms, but quickly outgrew its capacity. An addition was added in 1968 which increased the size of the building by adding a new library, a second gym, 10 special education classrooms, and three general education classrooms.
Colene Hoose was named in honor of Miss Colene Hoose. She was a uniquely gifted teacher of art, speech, and drama. Born December 29, 1908 in Atlanta, Illinois, Ms. Hoose graduated Valedictorian from Illinois Wesleyan University. She began her 38 year teaching career in the Unit 5 system.
In addition to her classroom responsibilities, she sponsored the Drama Club and Thespians, and directed 79 major plays at the high school level. Following her retirement, she continued to be active in Community Players.