The Board of Education is interested in receiving valid concerns and suggestions from members of the community. Any individual may make a suggestion or express a concern at any District or school office. All concerns and/or suggestions will be referred to the appropriate level staff member or District administrator who is most able to respond in a timely manner. Each concern or suggestion shall be considered on its merits.
An individual, not satisfied after following the channels of authority, may file a grievance under the Uniform Grievance Procedure. This policy shall not be construed to create an independent right to a hearing before the Board.
The Unit 5 Administration is interested in receiving and processing valid concerns of its constituency in an appropriate sequence. Each concern shall be considered on its merits and every effort will be made to resolve issues in a positive and professional manner.
The following steps are recommended when a concern is registered against a person, policy, or procedure. Each step/action taken will depend upon the severity of the concern and may be adjusted accordingly. All concerns will be processed to completion using the following guidelines.
All concerns should be directed to the individual(s) involved. In an attempt to resolve differences at this level, all parties involved should participate in the process. This may include a personal conference, a telephone conversation, or a written communication.
If resolution is not achieved at Step One, a Concern Resolution Form will be submitted to the building principal/designee.
- The following actions will be taken upon receipt of the Concern Resolution Form.
- Any concern or series of concerns that are requested to be placed in a staff member’s personnel file or that may result in disciplinary action shall be brought to the attention of the staff member as soon as possible.
- The building administrator will schedule a conference with the concerned party or parties and the staff member involved to review the concern(s). A copy of the Concern Resolution Form will be provided for all parties.
- The building principal/designee will conduct an investigation based on the documents submitted and the information discussed at the conference.
- The building administrator will provide a written recommendation for resolution to all parties.
If resolution is not achieved at Step 2, the concerned party may appeal the recommendation to the Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources. The building principal will submit all documentation along with the Concern Resolution Form indicating prior actions taken.
The following actions will be taken in Step Three.
- The Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources will conduct a hearing involving all parties.
- The Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources will complete a written recommendation within seven days of the hearing completion. All materials reviewed will be considered for placement in a staff member’s personnel file.
Amended by the Board of Education: February 10, 2010