About Unit 5 Technology
The IT, or Instructional Technology Department, maintains, supports, installs, and repairs the computing, printing, and network resources of the school district. The IT department utilizes a helpdesk ticketing system to coordinate and assign prioritized assistance. Technology support specialists assigned to each building maintain instructional hardware and printing assets on an annual basis. Additional staff members play a vital role in maintaining district wide equipment and technologies in support of both the operational and instructional missions. Assistance for district technologies originates and is communicated through school personnel and the administration at each building within the district. If parents have an issue or would like to discuss technology issues, the first step is to contact the building where the student is enrolled. For all other inquires about the technology department or processes and procedures, please contact the Director of Technology.
Instructional Technology Department
- Support technology as a tool for instruction and communication with students, staff, and community.
- Analyze and review district technology efficiency in regard to the need for hardware and software platform upgrades as stated in the District Technology Plan.
- Expand technology opportunities for students, staff, and the community.
- Promote the efficient and effective use of district resources to support operational technology.
- Utilize technology to enhance the student learning environment.
- Promote a common vision for district technology.
Wide Area Network
The Unit 5 Wide Area Network (WAN) consists of:
- All district buildings within Blooming/Normal have fiber-optic connectivity.
- Three elementary schools connected through wireless bridge via municipal water towers.
- Storage Area Network (SAN) supporting district infrastructure through virtualization.
- Centralized data center used for consolidation and distribution within the district.
- Internal switching supporting 23 educational and 5 administrative facilities.
- The district supports a Microsoft domain environment.