Information from the Nurses
Welcome, from NCHS nurses Tamara Ahrens and Jessica Murphy!
Click here to go to the School Health section of the Unit 5 website for medical forms, physical and immunization requirements, community resources, and helpful websites.
Tamara Ahrens, BSN, RN, PEL-CSN
Illinois Certified School Nurse
Office hours: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Jessica Murphy, BSN, RN
Office hours: 7:45 am - 3:45 pm
Per the Unit 5 High School Handbook:
For everyone’s protection, sick students must be at home, not at school. When reporting the student’s absence, please report the reason for the child’s absence. The school needs to be informed of any student having a special health problem or communicable disease. Children with the following conditions should not be in school:
- A fever within the last 24 hours of 100° F or higher
- Vomiting or diarrhea within the last 24 hours
- A frequent or disruptive cough or other signs of an acute respiratory infection
- Any contagious illness such as “strep throat” that requires antibiotic therapy. Once a student has been fever free without the use of fever‐reducing medications and on antibiotics for at least 24 hours, he/she may return to school.
- Any undiagnosed skin rash. A student with a rash may attend school upon presenting a physician’s note stating the rash is not contagious.
- Pronounced lethargy or fatigue that interferes with participation in learning activities.