· Help your student sort their word cards each week.
· Talk about the sound on their cards.
· Discuss how that sound is made different by different patterns of words.
· Find more words in books, around the house, and around the community that use the studied pattern(s).
· Look for ODDBALLS that use the pattern but don’t make the sound.
· If your child has studied a certain pattern, for example long a made by a_e, ai, and ay, then whenever he/she wants to write a word with that sound but isn’t sure how it is spelled encourage them to write it with the different patterns they know that make that sound and circle the one that looks right.